Leadership At Work
Eliot has demonstrated leadership on the issues that make a difference in our lives. He is fighting every day for a fairer, more just America.
Fighting Climate Change
Eliot knows we must act now to save our planet and build a new, green economy. Trump is determined to destroy every environmental advance we have made, perpetuating the damage of fossil fuels to our planet. But Eliot is fighting back
- As Chairman, he successfully steered H.R. 9, the CLIMATE ACTION NOW ACT requiring the US to rejoin the PARIS CLIMATE AGREEMENT, through the Foreign Affairs Committee and was a leader in its passage by the House of Representatives.
- He is an original co-sponsor of the Green New Deal to create jobs as we build a new, green economy
Eliot believes all of our children have the right to a free, quality public education. He champions programs such as Head Start to help close the education gap among communities. School budgets in all communities are stretched thin. Since the majority of school funding comes from state and local taxes, the loss of State and Local Tax (SALT) deductions disproportionally impacts our schools. Eliot wrote and introduced the STATE AND LOCAL TAX DEDUCTION FAIRNESS ACT to repeal the cap on SALT.
- Eliot has consistently voted to increase federal funding
Quality, Affordable Education
Leading Election Reform
Eliot has long worked to reform our elections. He is a co-sponsor of H.R. 1, the FOR THE PEOPLE ACT to protect voting rights, fight corruption and reduce special interest and dark money in politics. H.R. 1 was the first bill passed by Congress in 2019 and includes:
- Automatic voter registration
- Requiring at least 15 days of early voting
- Making super PACs disclose large donors
- Creating a public financing program to match small dollar donations to House candidates.
The FOR THE PEOPLE ACT also includes some of the same
Eliot is a leader in working to protect our environment and has fought against every Trump anti-environment action and proposal.
- He has opposed and voted “no” on all anti-environmental legislation that would weaken our environmental protection laws or cut funding for environmental programs.
- Eliot sponsored the law that provided millions of dollars to restore and protect the Long Island Sound; he is a member of the Long Island Sound Caucus.
- Successfully fought against putting Coast Guard
Champion for the Environment
Chairman of the House Foreign Affairs Committee
As Chairman of the House Foreign Affairs Committee, Eliot ensures the committee is a critical counter-balance to the irresponsible “foreign policy by tweet” actions of Donald Trump. He continues to champion democracy and human rights throughout the world.
- He co-sponsored and helped usher through the Congressional resolution to end all US military involvement in the war in Yemen. Eliot quickly got the bill approved by the Foreign Affairs Committee and it later passed in the House and Senate
- Sponsored, with Representative Ro Khanna (D-CA-17), an
Eliot is a Congressional leader and vocal supporter in the fight to reduce gun violence in the United States. He is proud of his “F” rating from the NRA. The last Republican led Congress had the distinction of presiding over the worst escalation of gun violence in history. Eliot is fighting back by:
- Co-sponsoring H.R. 8, the BIPARTISAN BACKGROUND CHECKS ACT OF 2019, groundbreaking legislation mandating universal background checks. Eliot dedicated his vote to pass the legislation to Shamoya McKenzie and Michael Nolan, two young Mount Vernon and Yonkers residents who lost their lives to gun
Reducing Gun Violence
Healthcare is a Human Right
Eliot believes that health care is a right, not a privilege, and that every American must have access to quality, affordable health care. As a member of the Health Subcommittee of the House Energy and Commerce Committee he is a leader in fighting for health care for all:
- He is an original co-sponsor of the MEDICARE FOR ALL ACT and is a founding member of the Congressional Medicare for All Caucus.
- Lead his colleagues in a successful fight to repeal cruel cuts to Medicaid DHS.
- Eliot worked to make the AFFORDABLE CARE ACT (Obamacare)
Trump’s inhumane, xenophobic policies must end. Eliot is committed to taking quick action to deal with Trump’s manufactured crisis and pass comprehensive immigration reform:
- Co-Sponsor of H.R. 6, the DREAM AND PROMISE ACT, passed by the House in June, 2019 to provide a pathway to residency and citizenship for Dreamers (DACA), those with Temporary Protective Status (TPS) and those with Deferred Enforced Departure (DED) status.
- Voted Yes on the Resolution to terminate Trump’s
Compassionate Immigration Reform
Jobs and Economic Growth
Economic growth that includes well-paying new jobs is essential for our Congressional District and country. Trump likes to tout economic growth which he inherited from President Obama, but Eliot knows far too many people are not getting those gains. Unemployment is low, but wage growth remains sluggish under Trump and underemployment is a real problem.
We must transform our economy and create employment opportunities that will provide people the income they need to have economically secure lives. Eliot is working to do this:
Eliot has distinguished himself in Congress as an unwavering champion of civil and equal rights and social justice.
- Working for criminal justice reform, fighting for meaningful reforms to address the needs of individuals and communities that suffer under the current system.
- He authored a Constitutional Amendment to make the
Standing Up For Social Justice & Equal Rights
Protect Social Security & Medicare
Eliot is fighting Trump and the complicit Republican party’s plan to cut Social Security and Medicare funding to pay for their disastrous Tax Scam. He has:
- Fought against every Trump and Republican proposal to cut Social Security and Medicare.
- Authored the Guaranteed 3% COLA FOR SENIORS ACT for a minimum 3% annual cost-of-living Social Security increase.
- Worked to pass the MEDICARE (more)
The new tax code, or Trump Tax Scam, has enriched big corporations and the wealthiest at the expense of the majority of the American people. Eliot fought against it and is continuing the fight:
- He voted against the Tax Scam.
- He wrote and introduced the STATE AND LOCAL TAX DEDUCTION FAIRNESS ACT to repeal the $10,000 cap on (more)
Repeal the Trump Tax Scam
Defender of Women's Rights & Choice
Trump’s record on women’s rights is deplorable. Eliot is a leader in the fight to expand women’s right and equality, and is taking action against all Trump administration attacks on choice.
- Co-sponsored the PAYCHECK FAIRNESS ACT, passed by the House in March 2019, to end the unfair pay disparity between women and men.
- Introduced the WOMEN’S ENTREPRENEURSHIP AND ECONOMIC EMPOWERMENT ACT OF 2018, legislation outlining the rights, tools and resources needed for (more)
Our campaign is fueled by people like you...
Our campaign is fueled by volunteers like you that can make the difference!
Join us to reelect Eliot, we’ll be in touch.