Eliot has long worked to reform our elections. He is a co-sponsor of H.R. 1, the FOR THE PEOPLE ACT to protect voting rights, fight corruption and reduce special interest and dark money in politics. H.R. 1 was the first bill passed by Congress in 2019 and includes:
- Automatic voter registration
- Requiring at least 15 days of early voting
- Making super PACs disclose large donors
- Creating a public financing program to match small dollar donations to House candidates.
The FOR THE PEOPLE ACT also includes some of the same provisions as the COMPREHENSIVE VOTING RIGHTS CONSTITUTIONAL AMENDMENT Eliot authored several years ago. Eliot’s Amendment reforms include:
- Repeal of the Electoral College
- Make the VOTING RIGHTS ACT part of the Constitution
- Outlaw political gerrymandering
- Make Election Day a national holiday
Eliot says “We must make it easier for every citizen to exercise their right to vote I will not idly sit by as the GOP dismantles our voting rights.”
Eliot was endorsed by End Citizens United (an organization fighting to get dark money and influence out of politics) in 2018.