Eliot is a Congressional leader and vocal supporter in the fight to reduce gun violence in the United States. He is proud of his “F” rating from the NRA. The last Republican led Congress had the distinction of presiding over the worst escalation of gun violence in history. Eliot is fighting back by:
- Authored the SAFE GUN STORAGE ACT with Representative Pramila Jayapal, creating common-sense regulations for firearm safes and locks.
- Co-sponsoring H.R. 8, the BIPARTISAN BACKGROUND CHECKS ACT OF 2019, groundbreaking legislation mandating universal background checks. Eliot dedicated his vote to pass the legislation to Shamoya McKenzie and Michael Nolan, two young Mount Vernon and Yonkers residents who lost their lives to gun violence.
- Co-sponsoring the DISARM HATE ACT to end the sale of guns to those who have been convicted of a hate crime.
- Working to pass legislation to ban the sale of guns to anyone convicted of domestic violence.
- Participating in the 2016 gun safety filibuster sit-in on the House floor.
- Re-introducing legislation banning the sale of armor piercing bullets that are particularly dangerous to law enforcement. Piercing a bullet-proof vest is certainly not a Second Amendment right.
- Co-Sponsor of the ASSAULT WEAPON BAN OF 2019.
- Co-Sponsor of the RESOURCES FOR VICTIMS OF GUN VIOLENCE ACT OF 2019.
- Introducing the PREVENT CRIME AND TERRORISM ACT to maintain the State Department’s regulatory authority over firearm exports.
Eliot has repeatedly said, “Losing lives to senseless gun violence must end.”
Eliot is endorsed in 2020 by the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence. He is a 2020 Moms Demand Action Gun Sense Candidate.