women's rights and choice
Trump’s record on women’s rights is deplorable. Eliot is a leader in the fight to expand women’s right and equality, and is taking action against all Trump administration attacks on choice.
- Co-sponsored the PAYCHECK FAIRNESS ACT, passed by the House in March 2019, to end the unfair pay disparity between women and men.
- Introduced the WOMEN’S ENTREPRENEURSHIP AND ECONOMIC EMPOWERMENT ACT OF 2018, legislation outlining the rights, tools and resources needed for women to advance economically
- Has co-sponsored and voted for the VIOLENCE AGAINST WOMEN ACT (VAWA), reauthorized by the House in April 2019 after the Republicans let it expire in December.
- Received the first ever “Congressional Defender of Women’s Rights” award by the Westchester Coalition for Legal Abortion – Choice Matters.
- Sponsored pro-choice legislation including the WOMEN’S HEALTH PROTECTION ACT and the EQUAL ACCESS TO ABORTION COVERAGE IN HEALTH INSURANCE (EACH) ACT.
- Introduced the REPRODUCTIVE RIGHTS ARE HUMAN RIGHTS ACT. This bill requires the U.S. State Department to include reproductive rights in its annual human rights report after the State Department deleted all subsections without warning or justification in 2017.
- Called a “strong and tireless advocate for women’s health, both domestically and internationally” by Cecile Richards, while President of Parenthood. “We thank him for his leadership, celebrate his commitment and are honored to work with him on these critical issues.”
- Continues to fight against Republican cuts to Planned Parenthood and Trump’s Executive Order to allow employers to end birth control coverage. Eliot was a leader in making birth control coverage part of the ACA (Obamacare).
- Supported and worked to pass the law to hold lawmakers, not taxpayers, personally responsible for sexual harassment settlements and streamlined the complaint process.
- Co-sponsored the PREGNANT WORKERS FAIRNESS ACT to end discrimination against pregnant women. The bill would make illegal for employers to force women out of their jobs or deny them reasonable accommodations due to pregnancy.
- Eliot cosponsored the BEHEARD IN THE WORKPLACE ACT to expand protections against workplace discrimination and workplace sexual harassment.
- Original co-sponsor of the REMOVING THE DEADLINE FOR RATIFICATION OF THE EQUAL RIGHTS AMENDMENT House Joint Resolution, passed by the House in February, 2020. This would open the door to ratification of the ERA.
Eliot says, “As I have done my whole career, I will continue to advance Women’s Rights and Women’s Equality while protecting a woman’s right to choose, which is under constant attack by Trump and the Republicans.”
Eliot is endorsed by Planned Parenthood Action Fund, NARAL Pro-Choice America and the National Organization for Women (NOW) for the 2020 election. He is a member of the House Pro-Choice Caucus and has a 100% Planned Parenthood voting record.